Sunday, May 17, 2009

A clarification about forgetting Byron's age

I realized after writing this that even though you all know me reasonably well, you may not understand why I forgot how old my own flesh and blood son is. I have this odd quirk that I can't remember people's ages--even my own. Every time someone asks how old I am, and for some reason that happens more than I'd like, I have to calculate my age. It's the same with my anniversary. It's so bad that I went through my mid life crisis twice because for half a year, I was depressed about turning 40, and then my friend Kathy reminded me in one of our infrequent email conversations that I was only 39 that year! So then, I had to be bummed out for another year!

So, it isn't that I'm THAT bad of a mother/wife/friend. It's just some mental block. I think it is because I still feel 25, and it is mentally impossible for me to reconcile myself being middle aged and having 14 and 11 (?) year old kids and being married for some number of years ( I'll have to ask Tim to give you a specific number on that anniversary thing).

Linda

2 comments:

  1. You are not alone, several times this year already I've had to calculate how old I am- it just doesn't seem possible I'm 52 (what????? how did that happen!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the terrible thing is, except for turning 40, I don't really mind my age, so there is no real reason for forgetting it. Except age, I guess.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete