Monday, May 4, 2009

An answer to Lauren's blog



Lauren asked: What says summer to you? What plants and flowers do you like?

Summer to me is clover. It brings back memories of running barefoot through the field where the neighborhood kids played all summer long. I think we went the whole two months of summer break without wearing shoes, and those little flowers were always present. They would get stuck between our toes, we would get stung by the bees, we'd make bracelets from them, and shoot the flower heads at each other. The bank along the river just behind our house is full of them right now, and even the bees are there. No one plays there like we did in our field, but I walk Sparky along this bank every day, and even though it is spring and the weather is perfect, I think of those summers past whenever we go there.

I like lots of flowers, but these are the only kind that really bring back fond memories. I never had a problem with dandelions, but I remember my mom hated them and always made we kids pull them out of her garden. It was surprising to me the first time (as an adult) that I learned you can eat them.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment