Saturday, April 11, 2009

Hanami Heaven


I live in a neighborhood in Tokyo called Nakameguro. My tiny rabbit-hutch apartment is next to the Meguro Gawa (Meguro River.) The river is more like a water canal but it is still pretty though not in a very natural way. The wonderful thing though is that the length of the river is lined on both sides with cherry trees and celebrating "Hanami" or flower viewing festival there is an annual bit deal. This year was one of the best Hanami seasons in recent history. The weather was mild- the blossoms lasted a full two weeks and the throngs were thronging every night! So many people. Food vendors set up little stalls all along the street, and people stroll and look at the trees. During the day it is mostly older couples, young moms, and college girls. At night, after work the bands of office groups and salary men-- louder and more drunk-- join the walking talking and strolling flower viewers.

We enjoy this time a lot- but we are also glad when it finished as our neighborhood goes back to being peaceful and pretty quiet for such a big city. Last night there were still some lingering Hanami-celebrants... but the trees are turning green now and almost all the blossoms have fallen. It is a little sad but it also means I will be able to get a seat in all my neighborhood restaurants again. Yeah!

Collage above is from this year- (with my new camera) - Lauren

3 comments:

  1. Lauren, What nice photos. I love how you still, after years of living here in Japan, embrace so enthusiastically the cherry blossom season. Here in Hadano, we have amazing trees lining our river and dotting the mountains, but our family is too busy to enjoy them in any way other than saying, "Oh, aren't the trees so beautiful," as we are on our way to the school graduation or the entrance ceremony for the new school year or on the way to work, etc. I can't remember when was the last time we picnicked under the trees.

    But there are plenty who do stop to enjoy the blossoms. There is a mountain very close to our house, and it has a cherry blossom festival. This year, as I've been teaching my yoga classes and when my students are resting after the class, I look out the window that overlooks our river and that mountain. This year, there has been a steady stream of hikers, I mean gangs of them, all in full gear with backpacks and hiking boots and walking sticks and those khaki jackets with all the pockets, walking along our river on their way to the mountain cherry blossom festival. It is such a strange sight to see because Hadano is usually such a quiet little place, and usually when I look out the window, the only thing I see is either my kids playing with the dog on the river or birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you! Your photographs are lovely.

    ReplyDelete