Saturday, June 27, 2009

Michael Jackson

Yes, Michael Jackson is all over the place right now, and I don't usually care enough when a celebrity dies to write about it, but the death of Michael Jackson is so surprising and shocking to me that I can't help myself.

I mean, Michael Jackson has been part of my life ever since I can remember. I remember watching the Jackson 5 on TV, listening to their music when growing up, the movie Ben (about the killer rat) was the first movie I ever saw in a theater, you can't not like some of his music and it was huge when I was in my 20s and listening to music, his videos were amazing, his sense of style was memorable and influential, he has been a constant source of entertainment to the media and so whether you actively followed his controversies and face changes or not, you couldn't avoid knowing about them. He was kind of like smoke in the sense that there is a source of the smoke, but even if you weren't near that source, you still sense it and smell it and something of it lingers long after the smoke has actually cleared.

So how about you all? Does this have any meaning to you other than just a famous person dying?

Linda

3 comments:

  1. My taste in music never meshed with his style and so was never a fan. I really wasn't shocked when I heard the news--he mutilated himself so much that I'm sure he was physically compromised a long time ago. I always felt sorry for him- a twisted, warped soul whose early fame and horrible family life doomed him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually shocked when I heard the news and was a little sad. I love, love, love the Jackson 5 and some MJ solo stuff - Up Against the Wall, Thriller and some of Bad. I have to say, though, that I've been surprised at how long the media has continued to cover his death. Last night I was at the gym from about 7:15-8:30 and on the 8 screens they have, 6 of them were all MJ coverage. Maybe now that the memorial service is over it'll ease up some. I for one could use a break from it all. And I really, really don't want to see the clip of MJ's daughter Paris speaking at his funeral again. That poor kid! I couldn't believe the family let her speak and was appalled when Janet told her to "Speak up, honey" when she stepped to the microphone - which they shoved in her face. What a circus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish, I can't agree more. Before I even saw the video of her, my first thought was, "why is this kid speaking at all?" And then the pundits kept talking about how touching and powerful it was, so I watched the video, and then was even more appalled. Has that family learned nothing?

    Linda

    ReplyDelete