Thursday, February 11, 2010

I love a good snow day but....

I'm not much for cold weather (anything under eighty degrees), but I'm a sucker for a snow day
The sun reflects off the snow making everything is bright and beautiful. Gary and I greet an unexpected day off like a couple of six year olds. I guess it's leftover from childhood. A snow day just feels like stolen time.

But, the novelty wears off (no worky no money). We have about 40" of snow on the ground. 28"from the weekend and 13" fell yesterday. For the second time in a week Delaware is in a "state of emergency" and driving is banned in the City. Banned!? I think anybody who can get their car throw should receive a special commendation.

We've embraced the snow day activities - sledding (makeshift with, what else, plastic lids of storage bins - thank goodness for kids who share sleds*), baking - zillions of cookies, apple cobbler, cooking - pot roast and goulash. We're going to roll out of this place ten pounds heavier.

Then there's the mismatch of clumsy people and ice. Not good. One minute I was getting out of the car with a bag of lovely jar candles, and the next I was looking up from the ground with a lovely bag of broken glass. Gary's fall was especially impressive considering it was inside on the stairs (not down the stairs.) While attempting to take out the recycling he stopped at the top of the stairs to pick something up and thud. He's still a little mad at me for laughing, not just a little - full hysterics. This is what cabin fever does. And, by the way, they have stopped picking up the trash and aforementioned recycling due to snow. They don't tell you that in the brochures.

*I think the kids greased the loaner sled because I've never experienced anything like it in my life. Greased lightning. Totally airborne several times. One gust of wind was so heavy with snow I couldn't see a thing while careening face first toward the street. It was like being caught in a wave and not knowing which end is up. It was great while been very disconcerting.

A ranting and mixed review. I'll blame the cabin fever. It's my birthday today and it would be nice to get out. There's always the weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I survived Snowmageddon 2010. We got 31" in the first blizzard and 19" more in the second. I have never seen snow like this in my life! It is officially the snowiest winter in record for Baltimore/Annapolis/DC. The snow paralyzed DC - I haven't been at work since a week ago Thursday. The Smithsonian is back open today, but I spent the morning waiting for Verizon to show up to repair my Internet. I've been without it since Sunday. Thank goodenss for my iPhone or I would have felt completely disconnected!

    I managed to stay busy throughout the storms and really didn't get bored until yesterday. I shoveled, salted, and removed snow and ice from my roof. I fixed the shelves in my closet that have needed fixing for over a year. I cleaned out the closet and have a bag ready for Salvation Army. I cleaned out and reorganized the armoire in my bedroom. I cleaned and scrubbed my house from top to bottom. I washed all the curtains, rugs, comforters, etc. I read 2 books, 5 magazines and watched 3 movies. I ran on my treadmill every day for an hour. I commiserated with my neighbors. I also drank a considerable amount of wine!

    I did not lose electricity for which I am very thankful, and it appears that I have no leaks, though I won't feel like I'm out of the woods completely until the snow has all melted off the roof. So it could be May or so before I can truly heave a sigh of relief!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it is really bad here, too. Okay? It is cold, like maybe 40 degrees, and rainy, too. My feet were really cold today, okay, so you all are not the only ones suffering.

    No really, it is amazing what you have all gone through. I read today that it is possible there will be snow in all 50 states. I'm not sure it is fair to count snow on the mountaintops of Hawaii in this since there would always be snow on the mountaintops of Hawaii, but it makes for an interesting article, I guess. Dallas got like a foot of snow or something.

    I'm worried that I'm going to be home in two weeks and not be able to get out of the airport. But I hope to see some of that wonderful, beautiful snow.

    Sue, did you take the photo of the snowman? That's really good, something Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes) would love.

    Hang in there all.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snowman photo was just being passed around by email. The cabin fever isn't quite that bad - yet.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete